NN Header

Sunday 19 October 2014

Dinner at Founder Bak Kut Teh @ New Orchid Hotel, Balestier (发起人肉骨茶餐馆)


347 Balestier Road #01-347 New Orchid Hotel, Singapore 329777
Tel: 6352 6192


I seldom write about bak kut teh, a seemingly common everyday, homely dish.  And I have been to Founder Bak Kut Teh Restaurant so many times! But anyway, since it is one of my favorite bak kut teh restaurants - after the closure of Leong Kee (Klang) Bak Kut Teh at Beach Road, I decided to write about this as a recommendation.


If you wonder why there is a long line at the steps of this restaurant daily and nightly, and if you wonder why so many photographs of celebrities grace the wall of this simple little eatery, well then I suggest you give it a try.


Anyway, the Beau and I waited for about ten minutes, got a table inside, and placed our orders. The drinks of Aloe Vera drink (SGD$1.80) and Fresh Lime Juice (SGD$1.80) came first. The first was rather bland but the latter was refreshing and sour enough to tantalize.


Our Lettuce with Oyster Sauce (SGD$5.00) came first - a fresh dish of greens that acted as a balance for our meaty dish. I always will prefer my lettuce eaten raw in other circumstances.


Then my Braised Egg (SGD$1.00) was served - one of the flavorful must-haves for me in most meals where I could find them. This one did not dispapoint - in flavor but not presentation.


The Doughstick (you tiao) were served next - something that people love eating with Bak Kut Teh soup but I can never understand why. I prefer this with hot black coffee, plain white porridge or thick soy milk.


The Beau took the Founder Bak Kut Teh (SGD$8.00) that came with a bowl of white rice. The meat was tender enough, and the soup was piping hot and very tasteful with strong peppery overhaul - perfect for a rainy evening like the one we were enjoying.


I selected the Pig's Intestine's Soup (SGD$6.50) with no rice. Rest assured that it would also be served with the same delicious and distinctive white pepper stock soup - I rejected the first bowl because it was bloody literally (see the hints of red?)


They served me another bowl after a while, and I accepted this. The innards were all right - some chewy, some tender, some springy in texture, but all were good.

I had also eaten Bak Kut Teh here paired with vermicelli (SGD$2.00) or Salted Vegetables (SGD$3.00) or braised peanuts (SGD$3.00) - the usual ingredients that people eat bak kut teh with. Alternatively, give their Pig's Trotter (SGD$8.00) a try as well - tasty, tender  and sinfully good for a once-in-a-blue-moon indulgence.

Add me on Instagram ID:  wineVenom


No comments:

Post a Comment